The HES Smart Pac III Power Controller is widely used by installers to extend the life of any brand of electric strike. You’ll also find it used with mag locks and other types of electronic locks. The reason is the many features built into the Smart Pac III.
• Accepts wide range of input voltage: 12-32 Volts AC or DC
• Output 12VDC or 24 VDC with inputs of 24 Volts or greater
• Built-in bridge rectifier
• Built-in surge protection / voltage regulation
• Operates in Fail-Secure and Fail-Safe modes
• Activation timer: keeps strike energized for set period of time, adjustable from 2-8 seconds
• Continuous duty timer: reduces initial voltage by 25% after set period of time (adjustable 2-8 seconds), providing cooler more efficient operation of strike
Some types of locks are operating 99% of the time. These include mag locks, fail safe electric strikes, and fail safe electrified locks. Because they are working all the time, they are more prone to problems such as voltage spikes or overworking a solenoid. The Smart Pac II helps to solve these problems with it’s built-in features. This means less down time and less repairs. Experienced installers automatically install a Smart Pac with every electrical lock to reduce problems down the road.
Don’t overlook the feature of a built-in timer. Very few power supplies come with timers included, but every system needs a timer. Adding a Smart Pac near the lock is an inexpensive solution to the timer problem.
The SMART Pac III is an in-line power controller designed to protect and extend the life of HES electric strikes and other ASSA ABLOY electrified products. The built-in poly switch and zener diode protect the host system from possible reverse current surges, while a reduced voltage ‘step down’ extends the life of the electric strike by reducing operating temperature. The SMART Pac III can provide a DC output with an input ranging from 10.5 to 33 VDC or 10.5 to 30 RMS AC.
The SMART Pac III can also be used to troubleshoot installation problems. The SMART Pac III’s built-in LED can be used as a simplified voltage meter that indicates the power supply voltage at the installation. In addition, the SMART Pac III has a two-position Slide Switch that matches the SMART Pac III output voltage to the operating voltage of the electric strike. Note: The input voltage must be in range of the voltage required by the electric strike.
1. Connecting the SMART Pac III: Connect the SMART Pac III to the wires coming from the access control panel as shown on Page 3, using either the 12V or 24V pigtail provided with the HES electric strike.
2. Using SMART Pac III to confirm correct input voltage: Set the SMART Pac’s slide switch to the voltage of the power supply and activate power. The behavior of the SMART Pac’s LED Status Indicator will communicate the following:
Voltage input, and if it is within the input requirements
Correct position of the the SMART Pac’s slide switch for the voltage input
3. Resolving Fault Codes: A blinking or unlit LED indicates corrective action is needed.
a. Using the LED STATUS INDICATOR TABLE below determine the appropriate corrective action.
b. Remove power to the SMART Pac III and correct the error condition.
c. Wait 10 seconds and re-power the unit. This will reset the LED indicator.
Warning: The slide switch configures the wiring to the electric strike. It does not control the SMART PAC III’s voltage output and will not prevent an overload condition if set improperly. The voltage rating of the electric strike must match the voltage output of the power supply (e.g.: Use a 24 Volt strike if you have a power supply rated at 24 Volts.)
If using an electric strike and/or additional devices in series with a single SMART PAC III, do not exceed a current rating of 750 MA at 25 C.
4. Connecting the Electric Strike: With no power supplied to the SMART Pac III, connect the electric strike. Verify the operation of the electric strike and a steady LED color when power is present.
|LED Color=||Input Condition||Ourput Condition||Corrective Action|
|Steady Green||10.5-21V*||15VDC MAX STEPPING TO 9= VDC||NONE REQUIRED|
|Steady Yellow||21-33V*||30VDC MAX STEPPING TO 18VDC||NONE REQUIRED|
|Off or Blinking Green||TOO LOW (min.10.5V)||~0||INCREASE VOLTAGE|
|Blinking Yellow||TOO HIGH (>33V)||~0||DECREASE VOLTAGE|
|Blinking 2 Yellow / 2 Green||ANY||WRONG SLIDE SWITCH POSITION||CHANGE SLIDE SWITCH POSITION|
|Blinking Yellow / Green||ANY||DOWNSTREAM SHORT||FIND AND REMOVE SHORT|